I had some delusions in my last post about how much I'd get done today. The weather kept me from un-tarping the boat until a bit late in the morning due to light showers, but the afternoon was gorgeous. Sure wish I could have been sailing instead of fiber-glassing.
I picked up some more colloidal silica on the way to the marina, and was able to use it to finish off the balsa work. Yes, it's completely done now. The core is filled. From here on out I'm just working with laminate. So I'd call it a milestone. I finished off the starboard side, and then spent a little time scrubbing the amine blush from the bulkhead repair I did a few weeks ago. Going to need one more coat before I can do a final sanding and repaint it. While the water bucket was handy I did a cursory cleaning of the cockpit lockers and mast step, both of which were seriously filthy.
One of my friends stopped out and met me for a fantastic lunch at Schooners on the water. It ended up being a long lunch, but very enjoyable. As much as I needed to get work done, the mental break was nice. My final task of the day was to grind the new cored area in preparation for glassing over the top. There were areas where little ripples of thickened epoxy needed to be flattened out, and some spots where edges needed smoothing. I then gave a quick sand to the whole area just to give the new laminate something to bite.
Had to clean up a bit early to pick up my Little Man from school, but pending a quick acetone cleaning session, I'm all set to start working with the cloth and laminating roller next trip out. I am really looking forward to seeing this deck start coming together so I can refocus on the hull blisters.
CS27 Ravat Blog >