CS27 Ravat Blog‎ > ‎

Let There Be Wires!

posted Jul 10, 2011, 6:08 PM by Christopher Hubbell
Fresh house bank wiring.


Newly wired Victon Shunt and ACR.
I had a lot of quality time this morning to get acquainted with my new FTZ Crimpers of Mass Destruction.  They are simply incredible, they make great crimps, and since I was using FTZ terminals as well, the terminals were labeled with the correct die configuration on the crimper.  Couldn't have been easier.  In fact, I only had one termination that didn't work.  I still don't know why it failed, but I think I would feel safe rappelling from the other ones.

It took a while to get things moving since I needed to route cables from the engine compartment into the cockpit locker, and through the new locker divider I had made.  Nothing difficult, but yet another of those moments that requires a balance of coffee and thought to work through.  It all ended in a grand finale with my jig saw, and the wires are happy in their new homes.

I'm using the Blue Seas Marine-Rated-Battery-Fuse (MRBF) blocks on my positive terminals to meet ABYC fusing requirements.  They are as easy as it gets, and it saved having to mount yet another thing on my bulkheads (which are getting pretty cramped these days).

The Victron Battery Monitor wiring was pretty easy once I mapped out their diagram to my configuration.  I just followed my wiring diagram and had no issues other than not having the correct ring terminals to connect a 16 AWG wire to a battery terminal.  I need to pick those up to finish the job.

I'd say I was about 75% done with the core wiring work when I packed up this afternoon.  I need to squeeze in another 1/2 day once I have the right terminals, and I should have all the core stuff connected and the engine ready to start.  I'll still need to connect the branch circuits, but those can be done once the boat is in the water.  I just want the batteries to be able to charge.

I ran into a little confusion towards the end of today's session as I didn't fully understand the engine wiring on my little YSB.  I wasn't quite able to figure out how that alternator connects in to everything else.  It appears that right now it connects directly to the starter, which is a little odd.  I think I've figured out what I need to do.  Of course, I need to pick up some terminals again - I didn't anticipate needing to put 4AWG cables on a #10 post!

So, my remaining work is really focused on tying the starter motor and alternator into the new system and ripping out those old non-tinned wires.  The icing on the cake will be connecting the power and ground leads to the new DC main panel.  That part will be easy, fortunately!


Comments