CS27 Ravat Blog‎ > ‎

It's Always Something...

posted Jun 15, 2011, 1:09 PM by Christopher Hubbell
I was able to install the new footman loops quickly, and they appear to be just what I needed.  Although I really wanted to install them on both port and starboard sides, I was only able to use them on the starboard side since the sewn loop was too tight on port.  That's OK, the port hangers are much more appropriate than the starboard ones were.

Having crossed that project off the list, I eagerly moved on to install the cockpit drain seacocks.  I can't wait to get those hoses installed for two reasons:  First, I can't stand the way the temporary drains look hanging out of the through hull holes.  Second, It will use up a big roll of hose that's taking up cabin space.  I like de-cluttering.  Unfortunately, this wans not to be.  Well, not completely anyway.

I discovered that while I had all six required washers and nuts, I was missing one single bolt.  How did that happen?  Fortunately, the Shumway Marine Store is well stocked with this sort of thing and I was able to get another one with only 15 minutes wasted.  The starboard seacock went in with no issues.  The port one, however seems to have defied logic.  Somehow, the once perfectly aligned holes were no longer aligned.  No matter what I did I could only get two out of three bolts in place.

The adjustment needed was subtle, but more than a quick kiss with the Dremel.  So, I taped off the bottom and filled the hole with thickened epoxy.  Next time I go out I will re-drill it and try to get the pattern right this time.  I'm still wondering what sort of gremlin could have caused this.

An another note, the cockpit locker dividers are coming along well.  The paint recommends 4 hours between coats, and it's looking like 4 coats will be the magic number.  Needless to say, it's going to take a few days longer than I'd hoped.  That's OK, they look great and a thick coating of paint just means they will better resist dings, which are fairly common in cockpit lockers.

And last but not least, I have acquired my dedicated cranking battery.  I bought a West Marine flooded dual purpose battery.  Yes, I know dual purpose batteries do both jobs less well.  My intention is to never need the deep cycle capabilities, but it's nice to know they are sort of there.  It also has WAY more cranking amps than I should ever need.  I need less than 500 MCA, and this one has 810.  It's a group 27 battery, which is exactly what I use for my house bank, so I'm consistent there as well.  May not be ideal, but I think it will work, and the price was right.

After I clear out the cockpit locker dividers from my shop, the next project will be a small platform to rest the cranking battery on inside the base of the port forward cockpit locker.  I'm getting tight on time, so it won't be too fancy this year.  Just nice enough to keep the battery box secure.
Comments