CS27 Ravat Blog‎ > ‎

Interior Progress

posted Aug 2, 2010, 5:44 PM by Christopher Hubbell   [ updated Aug 8, 2010, 6:23 PM ]

I was so sick of sanding the hull that I needed a break from it.  So, I spend time this weekend attacking the internal structural issues.  I made amazing progress too, but didn't have a chance to take photos as I was working right up to the last minute each evening. 

First up as repairing a tabbing failure on the aft cabin bulkhead in the battery area next to the engine.  A six inch section had lifted up.  Using mental pain refocusing and some obscure forms of yoga I contorted myself into that space and ground out the tabbing until I exposed solid laminate or wood all around.  That left a gouged out curve on the bulkhead itself.  I put two layers of 10oz. cloth in place to fill that ground out depression, and then a large sheet of 10oz. cloth over the top of it all, and wrapped against the hull to tie it all together.  Probably overkill, but it's definitely solid.

Next, another tabbing failure had occurred in the settee closest to the cabin table.  I again ground it out, and layed down two layers of 10oz. cloth.  I finished over the top with a nice sheet of 6oz. cloth because I had it laying around, and it finishes off with a much nicer texture.

The upper compartment of the port settee had two sheets of plywood attached to divide it from the lower sections.  The plywood had never been epoxy-sealed, and was not very firm.  The adhesive they used was also a sort of nasty brown that had been smeared around rather messily.  I wasn't happy with this at all.  I ground off the brown residue, cleaned everything, then sanded it with 80 grit.   After a final clean up I tabbed both sides of it in place with two layers of 10 oz. cloth.  No need to get too crazy as it doesn't bear much of a structural load.  This would be sufficient to stand to whatever I store there banging around though.  It would also create a nice smooth rounded edge that will look nice once faired and painted.

My last repair job was to the bottom of the icebox inside the aftmost port settee.  For some reason the glass was paper thin there, and there were a few sets of holes where various versions of a drain had failed implementation.  I filled all these with thickened epoxy, then put in two sheets of 10oz cloth to firm up the wall, which it did nicely.

The last job I need to do requires that I grind out a stress crack along the inside base of the starboard settee, fill it, and then I plan to put a 10oz cloth reinforcement in place with a wider finishing sheet of 6oz cloth.

When all this is done, I'll fair it all with a quick coat of thickened epoxy, give it a sanding, and then paint it all with Interlux Bilgekoat.  This should really clean things up inside, as well as making it easier to keep clean because I have put in thick fillets at all joints.  There was all kinds of crud stuck in place in the old seams because they were uneven, or too tight to easily get a rag into.

Around this time, I should have the paint work done on the exterior and have the toe rails and windows in place again, which should really cut back leaks to only the deck hardware awaiting rebedding.  Yes, I'm seeing a faint glimmer at the distant end of the tunnel...
Comments