Another long day of sanding, although I have definitely continued to improve my technique. First of all, I have switched to using my nice Porter Cable 5" random orbit sander. No more screwing around with that little palm sander. Second, I'm now using 80 grit paper rather than 100 grit. Big, big, big, difference! I may even be able to use 60 grit to knock down the epoxy then hit them with 80 for a shorter duration. But the bottom line is that I'm now making solid progress on the fairing.
My experiment in skipping the spreader and just building up the Six/10 was partially successful. The blister are definitely more filled than when I used a spreader, but in many cases they still need a subtle touch up to become truly fair. Less touch up than the holes where I used a spreader, but I'm not going to be able to get away without two coats. The good news is that by not spreading the epoxy to surround the blister I'm saving a lot of time. There may be a way to do this with a spreader, but I didn't find it.
I have about another three hours of sanding to go at this pace, then a re-coat, then probably a day of sanding. I have removed so much bottom paint at this point that I may just sand down what little remains and throw down a new layer of barrier coat to even everything up. Not sure yet... For now I'm just pleased to have made some solid progress.
CS27 Ravat Blog >