My goal last night was to finish up the remaining 6" of deck core on each side. After some head scratching I decided that I could use balsa for most of it and still have the sealed, reinforced area by the stanchion base. Because of the countour of that section it was like piecing together a jigsaw puzzle with lots of work for my Dremel.
After piecing both sides together I went into the cabin to mix epoxy. While I had plenty of resin and hardener, I did NOT have plenty of colloidal silica. I had just enough to get a slightly-too-thin mix, but thick enough. Not enough for the starboard side though, so I'll need another trip to finish that off. If only there was a 24 hour West Marine I could have finished it!
When this last balsa job is done I'll have a tiny section to laminate which is only about 1/4" thick, so not bad at all with the 10 oz. cloth. Oh yeah, and a whole lot of grinding and itching. Yuck.
The other job I completed last night was removing the windows from both sides. I'm going to bring them in to a local glass store that does replacements. I have too many projects going right now, and I need to get it done, so I'm outsourcing some of the work. Hopefully they will be able to finish them before its time to paint, and it can all go back together efficiently.
I think I'm seeing light at the end of the tunnel... Or maybe its a mirage...
CS27 Ravat Blog >