The first thing I did was to take a terminal screw out of the GFCI to check to see if it was a #10 or #8 terminal. After determining that it was most definitely a #8 screw I set about crimping three #8 terminals onto the line side wire. And then came the frustration. I tried and tried to get the screws back into the GFCI, but couldn't do it.
It turned out that there is very little clearance for re-engaging the screw in the GFCI, and the heat shrink tubing ate up about 1/16", which was just enough to keep the threads from hitting the plate. It looks like I have two options:  Obtain longer screws for the GFCI, which will most likely risk causing other problems.  Use fork terminals.
If I'd done this before or had properly researched the task I would have realized that the screws really aren't meant to come out of the outlets. They are meant to be captive. With that in mind, I realized I'd need to obtain a package of #8 fork terminals for 12-14AWG stranded wire. Unfortunately, that means a trip to West Marine, and that would have eaten up about 50% of my remaining work time. So, no luck on finishing that project.
I'm going to try to pick up the terminals this week so I'll be ready for a weekend installation. Hopefully the second time will be a charm.
CS27 Ravat Blog >